A day in the life

Blogging stuff about life, projects, etc.
Some devlogs too.
dendiz
Site Admin

A day in the life

Post by dendiz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 am

Micro blogging on my Mastodon instance is easy and cool and all, but looking back to read them is not the same as reading a nice blog post. It's missing the coherence and the story. So I have decided to get back to keeping a journal about life and the stuff that's been going on. Today was another one of those days where Ada was fussy. It wasn't catastrophic but I did spend a good portion of the day trying to soothe her. It's so frustrating not being able to communicate clearly for both of us. I'm just trying to figure out what she wants from the tone of her crying and fussing. Sometimes it's hunger sometimes it's a dirty diaper, sometimes she's just bord of being in the same position for to long. it's a guessing game for the most part :D

Mom's helping out with the chores around the house. Cooking and the dishes are a huge burden and she's doing a great job with those. I don't know what we'll be doing when she goes back to her life in Istanbul but I guess we'll adapt somehow πŸ€”

There was a recruiter from vettery that had contacted me about a month ago, trying to get me signed up on their system. I had asked her to get back to me in a month thinking that thigs would be calmer by then, but they are not. I have grossly underestimated how much time a baby takes. It's a full-time job and then some! I wake up 2 times every night for feedings and then Ada is up by 7 am ready to start the day. Thankfully B takes care of in her in the morning and I get to sleep a bit more. During the night feeding sessions I'm basically half asleep😣 anyway I finally had the chance to respond to the recruiter and we should be having a quick phone call and see what they can do for me in terms of helping with the job hunt. I need to finish up with Techscan and start preparing for the interviews. Argh those stupid behavioral questions make my stomach turn😠

Well talking about techscan I'm progressing quite fast and my new setup with my Chromebook is a motivating factor. I've also mastered the art of SSH usage on small screens thanks to Ada holding an arm hostage most of the dayπŸ™„

I also copy/pasted some old Trendyol Dev logs into a hidden forum which I had forgotten to do after migrating to phpBB. I will probably have to go through them before the interviews to refresh my memory on the project and the stuff I did on it.

Tomorrow we are having a couple of friends over to meet Ada as she is now 40 days old. I think people were starting to wonder why they weren't meeting her so that should put them at all ease. She exists and is wonderful people.

dendiz
Site Admin

Re: A day in the life

Post by dendiz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:45 am

So another week , well almost a week, gone by and it's been the same old same old. I've said it before but it feels like the first couple of episodes of Battle star Galactica where the humans were FTL jumping every 37 minutes to escape from the Cylons πŸ˜‚ . My vicious cycle is diaper change, feed, burp, sleep, repeat. But I have to say this: she's a reasonable baby to be fair. So my biggest escape from reality is the short trips to the supermarket. Apart from that we go to the mall in downtown Bellevue and that's a welcome change too. I guess we're one of those families now😊

So this week I've also been dealing with the frustrating speed of Techscan engine's processing. I had to increase the data ingested 5x to get reasonable coverage of scan scores but it really put a strain on the engine. I'll go into more detail about it in a devlog.

B. decided to go on a shopping diet until this summer and I'm fully supporting her. Come to think about it all the stuff we buy just to get that fixed of dopamine... In the end that stuff doesn't make us happy. I've had the idea of a fake shopping site selling everything imaginable. You can pretend buy anything for a reasonable price but it never gets shipped. Curb your urges for a fraction of the price without hoarding all that useless stuff! Definitely this would be a big hitπŸ˜‚

Having the mom's around was helpful but we both are overloaded and need a break from them. Mom's cannot stop being moms regardless of the age of the child and that can get annoying really fast. The constant advice giving and 'I know best' attitude isn't easy to tolerate for a long time.

I'm eager to see what the upcoming weeks will be like without the help - I'm sure we'll manage somehow but will it end up making us wish that February would come sooner so that we can offload the house chores or vice versaπŸ€”

dendiz
Site Admin

Re: A day in the life

Post by dendiz » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:27 am

Right so the past week has been as uneventful as the one before, still caught up in the cycle of feed burp change. I guess this will go on for some time, so no need to iterate anymore. She's growing up so fast and I think to myself 'I need to take more photos' but then I'll end up with a bunch of pictures all in the same setting which isn't that interesting to look at later. I'm just trying to burn some of the images of her that I find cute in my memory.

Mom went back to Istanbul this Sunday, it's almost been a week and we're still alive and the house is still livable so I guess we just panicked and called her in too early. 2 consecutive months of parents can be a huge strain. It's a delicate matter that I have to handle with care as grand parents do want to see the baby and yet we can't have people over all the time for long periods of time. The next planned visit is for February and we should cut it down to 15 days from a month. That's a conversation I'm not looking forward to havingπŸ˜‘

I was annoyed by Spotify disabling the best songs by Iced Earth. This music publishing business is such a mess! I decided to back up songs that I like on Plex for these kinds of emergencies. I don't care about your publishing deals, I just want to listen to some tunes. I also noticed they screwed up some of my playlists with songs deactivated even though they still existed in the library. Looks like when they renew a contract they reinsert the song with a different ID or something.

I've been using my new X2 exclusively since I got it but this week I needed to switch to my old Asus because it's juice ran out one evening and wow! What a crappy screen that old laptop has. I really couldn't believe it. It was like switching back to a CRT TV set after watching OLED. The keyboard and track pad also felt quite weird. I could tolerate it for about 15 minutes then I switched it off and waited for the X2 to complete charging.

Techscan did get some attention this week but I was mostly busy tracking down memory leaks and stuff that's not really fun. I'll go over it in a devlog. This could be the last week before I have to switch over to interview preps.

The major highlight of this week was the migration of my server downstairs. Our cable internet only comes to the living room so that's where I had setup the NAS and server but that machine makes so much noise when it's going full throttle that B. complained multiple times. I couldn't persuade her that it was white noise for AdaπŸ˜… She wanted that thing gone. The problem is that there are no cables downstairs and getting the wireless chip to work on Proxmox is a hassle. So I got a wireless bridge extender from DLink, the DP1650 which has 4 gbit ethernet ports. Setup was quite easy even though it's default IP address conflicted with a VM IP address I had assigned. I setup the 5 GHz band and everything seemed to be working until my proxied sites and apps stopped responding. Sometimes I got no response sometimes I did. The Mastodon instance never had any problems but my git server had problems all the time! I messed with ipv6 settings to to avail. Still dropped packets still slow connections. I switched to the 2.4 GHz network and stuff was stable again. I had had issues with SSH not working properly with laptops so I was suspicious of the 5ghz network anyways. I tried switching to a different channel but nothing changed. The lower frequent band could not handle the bandwidth so I decided to uninstall Proxmox and install a desktop Ubuntu and use the wireless chip on the laptop and connect directly to the network. I backed up all the apps and data on Proxmox and reformatted the drive. I ran into some issues with the installer because I had setup LVM when using Proxmox. After a couple of attempts and deleting partitions and messing with BIOS UEFI settings I got Ubuntu bionic beaver working. Having my services down made me quite uneasy and I couldn't sleep until I had Mastodon up and running which was around 3 am. The next day I setup the rest of my apps and only need to setup some techscan crons to complete the migration. I didn't expect it to take this long but I did run into some edge bug cases with gitea and mysql. I'll be returning the DLink extender as it's useless now.

Another toy I got this week is the Smok Nord pod vape. My old vape wasn't producing enough power to vaporize the liquid so I got a new one. It's small and the tank design looks good and doesn't seem to have any leakage issues. I've installed the sub ohm coil and the flavor is good.

A surprise was also waiting for me in the mailbox. Yet another bill from the hospital this time for services by the pediatrix medical group. I will refrain from saying Hi to a doctor in a hospital as they'll charge you😐 The cost of health care in the States is insane, I have no idea how people without insurance can afford this.

So I completed a profile in Vettery and got an interview request from Zipwhip this Tuesday. They are an SMS company and that feels like familiar territory. I was thinking SMS is dead but apparently it's not as they just raised a decent chunk of investor money. Let's see how it goes on Tuesday maybe I might be returning earlier to the scene than I thought I would πŸ€”